Week 1 - introduction

Wow! there are over 800 people enrolled in this course Introduction to Family History, that's a great response.  Even when I was doing my MBA there were not that many people enrolled in one subject. 



So, week one is, predictably, an introduction to the course and the assessments required, so I am back in the world of word limits and citations. The first task is to introduce yourself online and join the conversation, and already I have found another blogger at gransdenfamily.com.  Very interesting to read this blog that has been going since 2014.  Students are from across Australia, and obviously have a very varied level of experience in both family history and study.

We meet the course coordinator Diane via video, as well as complete a quick survey about myself.  That brought back an issue, I think I am the first person in my family to go to university.  Certainly in my generation, and further back most had very little education.  I have even found lots of documents with X (mark) as the signature.  How lucky I am.

One of the most important things to do in any Uni course is to understand the marking criteria and assessments and dates they are due.  They do not look to difficult for this course, and the marking criteria is very clear.  Tick!  The main assignment is a research plan, I have started my 1st draft, and look forward to refining it.  Here are a few tips I have gleaned so far:
  • Check your computer has the software you need, if not the uni will have free software available.
  • Get online as early as you can to become familiar with the layout of the uni's websites and logons.
  • Join the conversation!  This is how you will make lifelong connections and give and receive help from your fellow students.  They have the same problems you do.
  • Don't be afraid to ask, again others will have the same problem.
  • Check out the assignments, due dates and marking criteria (this is called the marking rubic)  immediately so that you do not get caught out.
  • Understand citations and bibliographies, these are very important in academic writing.
  • START EARLY.


Comments

  1. G'day Barb,
    Thought I would leave a comment. I did the first Intro to Family History course back in 2014 and found it fantastic for connecting with others. We even started a Facebook group that has carried through the students from the course last year and some new ones for this year.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1518087328444757/

    I was a moderator with the course last year and will be again over the next couple of months.

    I can see you are giving great hints as to how to get organized for the course - the most important being read the unit outline carefully and ask questions.

    You can find my blog at http://suewyatt.edublogs.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Sue, and for the info about facebook, I sent a join request. So far enjoying the course, uni is about the only place I have been super organised in the past, so hopefully also in the future! I look forward to reading your blog, and of course, being a Kernos, I'm half way there already!
    Cheers
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps we'll end up in the same discussion group, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment on my Blog. I love to get feedback and information to share from my readers.
To keep up to date simply follow me on facebook or subscribe using the button at the top of the blog page.
Barb

Popular Posts